Friday, October 15, 2010

"The Game" isn't as bad as you think

Men and women play chess. All lasting relationships maintain a certain momentum because of this. It's a stadegy obtained through failed relationships: you learn to move your pieces to different spaces from the consequences of previous games.
You must first stake your territory and play from there; gaining and losing ground along the way. I've found no other opponent that plays the game as well as my on-and-off boyfriend of ten years. I'll credit half of our on/off past to the fact that he's my first love but, the other half must be recognized as well: he's a damn find chess player. Never have i played the game with the intensity that we create.
It's incredible. I lose interest very quickly with men who cannot keep the momentum going. Men who stop playing the game after the first "checkmate".
But with... let's call him Rob, there is always something new around the corner. Always a "new" move that he's dusted off or learned from somewhere. Who knows?
The tricks are never ending.
Sometimes, i'll let a pawn go to stroke the ole' ego but, have no fear that there is always something up my sleeve. I'll lure him in and then attack. It's crazy and, he does the exact same thing.
And if you think i'm crazy, if you think that i'm only speaking from a crazy female's perspective, i have proof this is not one sided. No physical proof, of course... but, i told him the other night:

"I figured out the reason that i never get tired of you or bored with you... it's because we play mental chess aaaall the time"

"You're playing checkers, bitch. I'm playing chess."

"Fuck you, it's true, isn't it?"

"Yeah, you're playing checkers."

"We play mental chess, i need you to admit it. You know it's true."

"Yeah, we do."

And take my word, he's not the kind of person to admit to something if he doesn't agree. Infact, he'll make you feel like a jackass if he opposes it completely or, ask you to explain in detail.
So, i've met my mental companion. Who believes different things entirely, who challenges me and he always keeps me on my toes waiting for the next move.
And if the game ever stops, that's when i'll worry.

No comments:

Post a Comment